Sometimes even the best thought plans go awry - no matter how prepared you are for a trip, illness or accidents can happen.
Here is a comprehensive health checklist to ensure that your trip will turn out the way you want it to be: smooth sailing all the way.
1.Apply for travel insurance.
2. Eat and drink safely. Don't overindulge, and take everything in moderation, especially alcohol.
3. Be aware of safety hazards, including recreational water hazards.
4. Have up-to-date vaccinations.
5. Have a portable medicine travel pack handy.
6. Try not to touch local animals like cats or dogs, including domesticated ones.
7. Apply sunscreen and insect repellent regularly.
8. Take your medicines as prescribed. For example, when taking malaria medication, take it prior to leaving, in risk areas, and after.
9. Do your research to see if daily essentials are available. Circumstances differ in various countries, so always check beforehand.
10. For the elderly or people with health problems, it may not be advisable to travel to places with a lack of access to medical care.
11. Always maintain an adequate fluid intake to prevent dehyrdration.
12. Carbon or charcoal tablets can help treat diarrhoea. Diarrhoea can be caused by many factors like unhygenic environments. For serious cases, always consult a doctor.
13. Taking dramamine tablets can help prevent motion sickness.
14. On a long flight, remove shoes and wear compression stockings to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT).