A city described as one of Southeast Asia’s most underrated and a country that pioneered volcano surfing are among some of the destinations predicted to become popular among intrepid travelers in 2015. In the latest travel trendspotting report, experts at online booking site Skyscanner have released their picks of the top destinations in 2015.
Here are their top five picks:
1. Brazil: Still high off staging the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the country is now prepping itself for its next big role on the international stage: The 2016 Summer Olympic Games. “From new airport terminals to new roads and an improved rail system, exploring the country has never been easier,” say Skyscanner experts.
2. Nicaragua: The Central American country boasts bragging rights to having pioneered the latest in thrill sports: volcano surfing. Performed on the rocky, ash slopes of Cerro Negro, adventure-seekers strap on a thin wooden or metal plank to their feet and try to ‘surf’ (or rather negotiate) the descent down the country’s youngest -- and still active -- volcano. Skyscanner experts also note a spate of new five-star, ultra luxurious hotel openings recently including the Mukul Resort.
3. Seoul, South Korea: Fans of the K-pop phenomenon and Korean TV dramas have helped the pulsing capital become a major tourist destination within Asia, particularly for its Chinese fans. Look out for shopping tours inspired by PSY’s infamous "Gangnam Style" YouTube hit.
4. Taipei, Taiwan: Skyscanner experts describe Taipei as the Southeast destination that offers breathtaking landscapes and mouthwatering cuisine without the backpacker crowds and honeymooning couples. Highlights: night markets and infamous soup dumplings from Din Tai Fung dumpling house.
5. Mykonos, Greece: The Greek island has become a favorite among celebrities like LeBron James, Jean Paul Gaultier and Jennifer Lopez for its bright, cheerful whitewashed houses, colorful doors, bougainvillea trees and azure waters. Its pulsing nightlife also rivals that of Ibiza.
Here are the top 10 cities for 2015:
Top 10 Countries :
Top 10 Regions :
* These ratings are subjective to world's tourism preferences.